Behind Those Walls

 




I heard of a town

Green grass; waters clean 

Where the sun smiles at them naked, lying by pools of water 

That place exists

That place is next door 


I hear of a place 

Where little boy's like me run on clear ground 

Scents of bread burn, Melody only by birds 

There's a place unlike ours, where no one from poverty runs 


I'm the one riches left

One in a million ants squeezing in this snail shell we call home 

Cracked lips and dry throat, the sun smiles not at us here 

But burns, and burns until we get a smile from death 


I'm the one behind those stone walls 

Where no sounds are heard 

Where class is seen and two worlds made 

But they're the ones we call our leaders 

Representing us, says they have us at heart 

Maybe they do


I'm the one in the same school with the governor's son 

On scholarship, they say I deserve not the chance

Equal opportunities, I fight for what they already have 

And pray it slips from their hands; just this once


Show me where you live and I'll show you mine 

Where families grow and pockets go dry 

Where food runs from us and poverty burns 

Where promises are made in cars while we beg for food in aches worse than cramps 

That's our place 

The place behind the stone walls... 


© amimoh 


Comments

Popular Posts